Over heating - NO cooling fan

Discussion of Corvette based Callaway Cars including: 1987-1991 RPO B2K Callaway Twin Turbo Corvettes (C4); Callaway SuperNatural Corvettes (CL-1/CR-1); Callaway C12; Supercharged Corvettes; Callaway C16; 6th Generation Callaway Corvettes (SC560, SC580, SC606, SC616, SC620, SC652); 7th Generation Callaway Corvettes (SC627/SC757); NEW Callaway C8 Corvettes - and more!
Sspeed

Over heating - NO cooling fan

Post by Sspeed »

Hello,

I am having an issue with my 88 stock CTTC overheating. I have root caused it to the cooling fan not coming on. I had a tech come to the house to take a look at it, he forced power to both the A/C fan and main cooling fans through the relay connections and both powered up. However I run the car up to 245 degrees and the main fan does not come on.

He attempted to get into the computer with his Launch software (that what he called it) but the computer would not let him in (im talking over my own head).

My questions are:
What temp should the main cooling fan kick on?
What diagnostic software/tool is required to read into the computer to ensure the ECU is calling for the fan? Tech II?
Did Callaway in 1988 apply a different tune VS a stock corvette during the B2K conversion? Im assuming yes but had to ask.
The thermostat opened, car reads temp on digital dash and the relay is working. Is there another sensor that would stop the fan at Temp 2XX?

Thanks,

SSpeed
SurfnSun
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Over heating - NO cooling fan

Post by SurfnSun »

The fan should come on at 228. Secondary fan at 238.

Fuses are good? Once you turn the AC on the fan should come on if I recall correctly. Grounds ok?

You can actually use a paperclip to pull codes but a Tech II is the correct scanner.

There is nothing in the Callaway calibration that affected the fan to the best of my knowledge. My B2k's fans ran just like my stock L98.

Might try the fan control switch....it’s cheap. https://corvetteparts.com/item/switch-e ... gIHRfD_BwE
SurfnSun
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by SurfnSun »

Have you made any headway?
SurfnSun
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by SurfnSun »

Have you made any headway?
SurfnSun
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by SurfnSun »

Info from another b2k owner...

There are two temp sensors on the L98.

The one on the front of the block reports to the computer.

The one on the rear of the passenger head reports the dash cluster